The heat is on and the lure of Lake Tahoe jolts the impulse to sink your toes in the sand. Before you make the pilgrimage the first surprise is the fact that all the heavy “pow” that fell during winter translates to a decrease in beach space!
Humanity is coming to Lake Tahoe in droves and you have to snag what little piece of sand you can.
Once you arrive, where are you gonna park? The Tahoe East Shore Trail has opened to bikes, hikers, sun enthusiasts and the public at large. A sweet 3 mile trek from Incline Village to Sand Harbor. Meanwhile, The Nevada Department of Transportation has announced a crack down on illegal parking along Hwy 28. Nevada Highway Patrol plans to tow illegally parked cars or ticket them with a maximum fine of $305. Ugh…
Here are your parking options, some free, others you’ll have to spring for a fee.
- COMMONS BEACH, Tahoe City – Free Parking in the lot on Commons Beach Road
- NORTH TAHOE BEACH, located at the intersection of Hwy 267 & Hwy 28 (across from Safeway) Free Parking
- LAKE FOREST BEACH, located at the end of Bristlecone Ave off Lake Forest Road in Tahoe City. Limited Free Parking available.
- CARNELIAN WEST, Free Parking in the shared parking lot next to Garwood’s
- TAHOE VISTA RECREATION AREA 7010 N. Lake Blvd., Tahoe Vista, Ca Free Parking (w/resident sticker pass) $10 fee for non-residents
- MOON DUNES BEACH, small beach located in Tahoe Vista with Free Parking along limited stretches of Hwy 28.
- KINGS BEACH STATE RECREATION AREA, $10/vehicle in closed lot. Free street parking up to 2 hours outside of beach.
- CHIMNEY BEACH, located in Incline Village it’s a short trek (1 mi) down to the beach. Some Free Parking available in a lot on the east side of Hwy 28.
- SAND HARBOR, $10 per vehicle, pay at entry booth
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE BEACHES
- ROUND HILL PINE BEACH, US 50 at Zephyr Cove $12/Day parking
- ZEPHYR COVE RESORT BEACH, US 50, Zephyr Cove $10/Day parking. Parking fee increases to $40/vehicle due to costs for event security. ***Note: Alcohol ban in effect on July 4th from 6am to Midnight.
- NEVADA BEACH, Bittlers Road, Zephyr Cove. $10/vehicle. Parking fee increases to $30 for event security. ***Note: Alcohol ban in effect on July 4th from 6am to Midnight.
- REGAN BEACH, off of Lakeview Ave at Fresno Ave. Free parking.
- CONNELLY BEACH, located at Tahoe Beach Retreat. Free parking.
- BALDWIN BEACH, Baldwin Beach Road, South Lake Tahoe $8/vehicle. Parking fees increase to $30 on July 4th to cover security costs.
- POPE BEACH, Hwy 89, CA South Lake Tahoe. $10/vehicle. Parking fees increase to $30 on July 4th to cover security costs.
- CAMP RICHARDSON RESORT, Off Hwy 89, CA – South Lake Tahoe. Parking fees for parking on Jameson Beach Road.
- MEEKS BAY RESORT, Meeks Bay, CA off Hwy 89 -West Shore Lake Tahoe $12/vehicle
That’s a good portion of many of the beaches around Tahoe. Don’t take a chance on parking illegally! Even I parked my car overnight at Sand Harbor parking lot and had to deal with towing, impound fees, and large fine. Of course that was many, many years ago when I was young, dumb and stupid!
Want to know some new spots to eat & drink in Reno? CLICK HERE